It's the last splash for the bride-to-be, and you're planning a mermaid-themed bachelorette party. Soon, the bride will be trading her single fins in for a ring and veil, and you want to ensure her last girl's weekend is one to remember 🎉.
Below, we dive into all the essentials for a mermaid bachelorette party. From seaside decor to mermaid outfits and beach-themed snacks, you'll have everything you need for a girl's weekend out.
Where to Host: Set a Location for Your Bachelorette Party
You're planning a mermaid bachelorette that would have Ariel herself longing for her fins again. And what’s the first decision on your bachelorette-planning checklist? Decide where to host your night (or weekend) with your girls 🏡.
Here are just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing, and pick the location for the event:
- Hit the beach ⛱: Sure, we love jet setting to Miami for a weekend, but there is plenty of sand to enjoy — even if you're landlocked. (Remember ladies, even Chicago has a beach.) Ocean City, Maryland, Tybee Island, Georgia, and Cannon Beach, Oregon, are just a few lesser known beaches you'll find in the U.S.
- Find a pool: Search on Airbnb using their "Unique Stays" feature to find a pool party retreat for you and the girls. Set the filters to include a place with a pool or hot tub.
- Cozy up in a hot tub: If it's winter but you still have visions of starfish and sand, then rent a hotel or Airbnb with a hot tub. Many modern apartment buildings in urban areas have hot tubs on the roof — book a few rooms for the weekend, and see if you can reserve the roof for you and your friends.
How to Decorate: Mermaid Bachelorette Party Decorations
As you prepare to go under the sea, you'll need some mermaid-themed decorations to liven up the party 🐠. Plan for a color palette of blues, teals, purples, greens, and pinks, splashed with a little gold and confetti throughout.
Here are just a few bachelorette party supplies and decor to add to your shopping list:
- Fin-tastic plates and utensils: Get some disposable plates, solo cups, knives, and forks for the party. Search for fun designs that add to your theme, like these mermaid fin cups from Wayfair.
- Mermaid invitations: Set the party theme early by sending a mermaid theme invitation to your friends. This mermaid invitation can be easily customized with the date, time, and location of the party, then sent out to the bride squad.
- Sea-worthy floaties: If you're spending the day at the beach or laying poolside, themed floatation devices are a must. We're currently obsessing over this inflatable giant seashell from Amazon.
- Themed wine glasses: Assuming you'll be clinking glasses with your best friends this weekend, you'll need some mermaid wine glasses. These adorable, yet classy stemless glasses are just $50 for a set of four at Bed Bath & Beyond (plus, they can double as party favors).
- The proper signage: You'll want your bachelorette bash to have a grand entrance. Hang this gold "trading my tail for a veil" sign to introduce the theme and create a DIY photo booth.
What to Wear: Outfits for the Mermaid Squad
Matching t-shirts are typical of any bachelorette party, but a mermaid-themed bash deserves a little something extra 💃. To ensure the bride-to-be and all her mer-maids are decked out, try these fun clothes and accessories:
- Mermaid tank tops: Find coordinating tanks for the bride and her bridesmaids that give a not-so-subtle nod to your mermaid theme. These cute tanks from Etsy say "trading the tail for a veil" for the bride and "time to party our tails off" for the bridal party.
- Temporary tattoos: Did Ariel and her sisters have tattoos? Even if King Triton wouldn't approve, we just can't resist these little mermaid temporary tattoos for you and friends.
- Metallic hair ties: No sea-squad is complete if you don't have the mermaid hair to go with it. These metallic scrunchies from Amazon look exactly like mermaid scales.
- Mermaid crown: Alright, if most brides-to-be get a tiara at their bachelorette party, there's no reason your last splash mermaid can't have one too. We are gushing over this gorgeous mermaid crown from Etsy — yes, it's $50, but well worth the price. (Otherwise, test your creative prowess, and use this as inspo to create your own.)
- Matching swimsuits: For any poolside or beach party, you need to have matching swimsuits. Checkout these mermaid one pieces from Pretty Robes — with over 25 colors, the bridesmaids can wear the wedding colors while the bride chooses an all-white suit.
What to Eat: Mermaid-Themed Snacks
Whether you're planning a bachelorette party or bridal shower, you need to have food and drinks that coincide with your theme 🍹. Try these better-than-fish-food snack ideas:
- Under the sea party cupcakes: Even if your baking skills are exceptionally bad, you can still use a box mix and blue and purple frosting to make a cupcake tower. This Mermaid cupcake kit with toppers will have everyone flapping their fins.
- Trail mix: You can hide virtually any snacks — goldfish, trail mix, or chocolates — in these adorable mermaid treat boxes.
- Chocolate seashells: These cute chocolate sea shells from Stonewall Kitchen are perfect for a mermaid or beach bachelorette party.
- Adult beverages: Mix up a few pitchers of sangria to enjoy with your girls. Then, sip seaside with these reusable, stainless steel mermaid straws.
What to Give: Bachelorette Party Favors for Your Mer-Maids
You don't want to send your mermaid squad home empty-handed 🎁. To thank them for all their love, support, and contributions leading up to your big day, consider giving them these gifts and party favors:
- Seashell glasses: You and your gals will certainly down a few 21+ beverages at the party. Why not send them home with these fun seashell glasses from Oriental Trading?
- Personalized koozies: Every girl's weekend needs a memorable koozie matching your bachelorette theme. These koozies can easily be customized for your mermaid weekend.
- Mermaid tote: Your mermaid of honor may need an extra special gift for planning such a wonderful weekend for you. Why not treat her to this fun tote that reads, "Mermaids aren't Real? Rude, I'm standing right here."
- Tail tumblers: Your girls are going to need to stay hydrated this weekend. This printable design looks just like a mermaid tail, and can transform any plain tumbler into a mermaid water bottle.
- Mer-maids coffee mugs: Let's face facts — after a hefty night of drinking, your bride squad may be in need of a jolt in the morning. Get these adorable "Let's Be Mer-Maids" coffee mugs to start the recovery process.
How to Plan: Putting Your Mermaid Bachelorette Party Ideas Together
Now, you have all the pieces to the perfect weekend with your mer-maids, you just need to put the pieces together.
Download the BACH app to your phone to complete the planning process. With the BACH app, you can plan an itinerary (what comes first, hitting the beach or playing a few bachelorette party games?) for the whole weekend. You can also split expenses (those tees, hair ties, and koozies certainly add up) and create a poll (should you buy the flamingo floatie or the seashell?).
The BACH app makes it easy to plan the bride’s mermaid-themed party. That way, you can spend more time with your girls and less time planning your trip.